Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Ways

We do not think ourselves into a new way of living.
We live ourselves into a new way of thinking.
Without action and lifestyle decisions,
Without concrete practices,
Words are dangerous and largely illusory.
Richard Rohr

This is a quote worth pondering. It seems to illustrate the cart before the horse concept that many of us have employed when trying to make change happen in our lives. I don't know about you, but I have thought things through so many times that time to act on the "thing" has passed! I can over analyze different ways of doing something before actually trying. I can think myself out of taking any action at all. The thought process becomes the end rather than the beginning!

Rohr challenges us to put thought to action and not leave the thought without commitment. How many times have we shared the sentiment with Scarlett O'Hara, "I won't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow. for tomorrow is another day!" Or "I'll get around to it one of these days"? No change takes place with postponed action.

We are not being true to ourselves if we say we are going to make a change in our behavior and don't act on it. I think Richard Rohr is challenging each of us to change our behavior to line up with our thoughts and beliefs. That is no small challenge either! Just when I have taken action in one area of my life, a new area in need of change calls out for attention! Two steps forward, three steps back! This can be so overwhelming!

How do you handle the disconnect between desire to change and lack of action? What do you do to move toward being authentic?

No comments:

Post a Comment