Friday, April 17, 2009

Musings

I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses....

I don't know your habits, but I know mine: the ones I have and the ones that I am trying to form and reform.  One habit that I love is rising earlier than the rest of my family to enjoy the quiet in the house alone with my coffee and my Lord.  After daylight savings we sometimes walk through the garden looking at the new shoots of seedlings or the flowers in bud.  Hearing the birds waking up as the sun rises is so calming to my spirit.  The songs of the house finches who nest in our jasmine have such a lilting melody and I find myself imagining their conversation with their Creator as I eavesdrop.  

As I walk or stand staring at a bird or plant I allow my mind to flit like the birds; the needs of my family come to mind; my husband's need for work, our oldest's desire for a summer job keeping him away from home again, our youngest's sports plans.  I think of the uncertainty that surrounds so many people's lives in Sri Lanka, in Uganda and here in the States.  I allow my mind to rest in the knowledge that God is already in the unknown of my future and it is completely known to Him. I remind myself of the many times He has shown up in my present, proof enough of His promise to never leave me or forget me.

Giving my mind and heart time to bring thoughts and fears to the surface also gives the Lord space to show up in my present with His comforting Word reminding me that He leads me beside still waters.  I am able to hand over the fear of the unknown to His capable hands as He walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am His own....

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with this. I can't believe that in a week and a half I will be living in a totally different environment, a place I never thought I would live in. But...I'll be in my own place with my husband again. And God answered my prayer to have a Redondo Beach address. Sure, we are at the very north end of RB, but, it's Redondo Beach. How cool is that? Next step...a new church and then a new job. God has given me a peace about this move and my friend, Noonie, and I have agreed this is "for a season." WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete