Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Definition of Success

I was talking with Kathy, my life coach, about what my definition of success is. Success is an interesting word; I really think it is relative to your cultural frame of reference. Most of you reading this have grown up in the culture of the USA. Because of our frame of reference I can make the statement that we have an agreed upon or at least assumed definition of what a success is in America. Without a doubt the definition of success we are aiming for in the USA looks at the external circumstances of a person; wealth, prestige, possessions, accomplishments.

Have you ever thought what you aim for? This topic of discussion came up because all the adults in our household are currently unemployed. Yes, the international economic down turn hit home here in January. Things are getting tougher, but in the midst of this change, I have been looking into topics that define the essentials, and not having an easy way to fix our circumstances have caused me to look in, look out and look up.

I have an anonymous quote that defines success in a way that I agree with:

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

How does this line up with your definition of success? Are you there or can you still move forward toward this goal?

By the way, if you know the author of this quote, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment