Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day to all you men blessed to have influence in your children's lives!

You know the saying "you don't know what you've got til it's gone".

Well, this is the second Father's Day without my dad, and this year more than before I have reflected on his solid influence in my life. My dad taught me to appreciate the details of creation: a sea shell in the mountains of Utah, the wonder of the structure of a leaf, the uniqueness of each sunrise over the desert as we drove up 395 to camp outside Bridgeport.

He was amazingly talented in working with his hands and understood the workings of an automobile engine by sound as well as sight. He could troubleshoot an odd sound in my car over the phone! He taught me to change the spark plugs in my VW as well as the oil and brakes. He didn't want his little girl to be taken advantage of!

My dad was a very introspective man and his thoughtful consideration of people and ideas has influenced my way of looking at things. He was also full of crazy sayings that were unique to his group of friends; men he went to Torrance High with and remained in weekly contact with until he died on March 10, 2008.

I miss my dad. Tell yours you love him and thank him for the things he has taught you so far.....



1 comment:

  1. Lisa,

    This is a beautiful tribute to your dad! I enjoyed reading it. I wrote something for Father's Day too. It's on the Glass House Ministries blog, titled: Tell the Next Generation.

    Have a beautiful day,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete