Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Excuses!

I've been considering all the ways I make excuses to not do things I know need to be done.  Do you ever catch yourself going down the excuse path?  I know we are all unique but we also have some similar traits and making excuses is one of them!

I hear myself saying, "I don't really have to do that right now, I can do that later."  Or "I don't feel like getting that done today.  I'll do it tomorrow."  Sounds like classic procrastination to me.

What is the point of procrastination?  I know some of you have studied the human condition far more than I have and can probably tell me all the deep seated psychological reasons one makes a habit of putting things off, but I have a feeling its origins are far deeper than early childhood!

Procrastination or shifting responsibility goes all the way back to Adam and Eve.    Think about them.  Eve: "The serpent told me...." Adam: "the woman You gave me"  Yep. We have a genetic predisposition to make excuses and shift blame.  Whew!  Aren't you glad to know you have an excuse?  Haha!

Truly though, since the Fall, humanity has been pointing fingers, shifting blame and making excuses to not take personal responsibility.  When I look at my procrastination in this light I realize I am living below my calling as a follower of Jesus.  Putting something off that can be done reasonably today doesn't honor God.  "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  

So what have you made an excuse for today?  I am off to fold laundry and PUT IT AWAY!

2 comments: