Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To Teach is to Touch a Life Forever


Some of you who have known me for awhile already are familiar with my history. But for those who don't, I have spent more than half my life teaching. I have worked with children, youth and adults in a variety of settings from traditional classrooms to garages to auditoriums. I love to teach!

What I have discovered in working with Kathy is that my passion is really to give the tools to learn so that my students, regardless of age, can continue the learning process on their own. Giving away a passion for learning and growing is not an easy task. But if only one student was inspired in each year's work, it would have been worth it to me.

The funny thing is, although I am no longer a classroom teacher, I find myself still teaching! I guess it is because I am an eager learning and I want to share whatever new things I have come across. When I am enthusiastic about something it is nearly impossible for me to keep my enthusiasm to myself. I'm not sure if that is bad; you'd have to ask my family what it is like living with me: "Hey you guys! Guess what I just read?!"

Your passion may not be for learning and teaching what you learn. You do have passion about something though. You may be busy today with small children and can't think much past their daily schedule of needs, or you may be going into a season of change and you don't know what is ahead. Either way, somewhere inside you is some element of creative passion. I know that is true because each of us is created in the image of God and He is the source of creativity and passion!

I really encourage you to carve out some time to sit in solitude asking your Maker what your passion is if you are disconnected from the awareness of how you are wired. He knows the plans He has for you...

Some of you are really living out your passions right now and you inspire me! I really believe we are intended to share our gifts and talents with one another for both blessing and challenge. How do we get started though? What can you do today to take a step toward living out your passion? I would love to talk with you about what I have been learning (there I go again!) that can help you get the tools you need to learn about your passion.

1 comment:

  1. I love writing and I loved my job at the church. In a couple of weeks, I will again search out a job and hope I can find a part-time job that will give me time to maybe start doing more writing, even if just on my blog. I miss you, Lisa. Wish I could just sit down with you and talk...or even sing. :)

    ReplyDelete