Saturday, January 1, 2011

Beginnings

I love the newness that comes with the first day of school, the smell of new binders and paper, the fresh bulletin boards and newly sharpened pencils.  Can you remember the joy of the first day of marriage, or the first day of life for your first child (or second, or third, etc.)?  All these firsts bring such excitement and anticipation!

But do you celebrate the newness of opportunity that the turning of the first page of a new calendar brings?  Are you looking forward to doing new things?  Or in doing old things in a new way?  There are so many thoughts bouncing around in my mind! 

One thing I am aspiring to do is persevere: true confessions, I am a great starter, but often lack the perseverance to go the distance.  I have been attempting to change this characteristic though.  Last year I became a cyclist and rode two century event rides with my DH on our tandem.  There is a lot of training that goes into being able to go out and ride one hundred miles in one sitting!  This year I am attempting to ride 3000 miles over the year.  A worthy goal for a middle age woman, don't you think?

I am reading through the Bible using You Version and am on Day 160.  I am so thankful to have this on my phone so that no matter where I am, I can keep up without excuse!  This goal is so beneficial to me and everyone I come in contact with because I am changed by interacting with God's Word on a daily basis.  And changing to be more Christlike today than I was yesterday is a good goal!  I have a partner Who will never let me down too!

Those two goals bring excitement to this New Year for me.  Growing in perseverance will be challenging for sure but I know that perseverance brings proven character, and thus hope!  "and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

1/1/11 Beginnings.  What are your goals for this New Year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment