Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Already...and Not Yet

(above photo is from Zion National Park, Utah. Taken August, 2010)

I have been offline intentionally; college son home for the holidays; AFS German son in town for two weeks; high school son home during break. Enough said.

I have found time for reading though and am musing a bit about what I've read and what the Biola student has shared from his courses this fall. This post's title sums it up: Already and Not Yet. This references the inaugurated Kingdom of God actually. I am already a part of God's Kingdom through the completed work of Christ at Calvary. But His Kingdom has also not yet been completed in our time frame and I am also not yet complete in my sanctification. I am no theology student but my take aways from my listening have been deepening me as I think more about what I have been reading.

Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas is a book written to encourage and help each one of us to discover the spiritual route we were individually made to travel, marked by growth and filled with the riches of a close walk with God. I don't know about you, but whether I am greedy or it's hungering and thirsting for righteousness, I want more of God! I don't want more head knowledge; I want Him.

In Thomas' book he shares 9 different pathways of connecting with God. Now lest you think this is merely a metaphysical book, his foundational premise is the Word of God. The full counsel from Genesis to Revelation showing the Trinity in action and His people relating to Him throughout time. In fact, one particular statement referencing Mark 12:30 has prompted me to share my musings and invite you into the conversation. (go read the link; it will make sense of what follows!)

Quoting from Sacred Pathways: "Complete Christians-which all of us are called to be- should exhibit adoration, belief, divine guidance and service."

Part of this mysterious journey called "Life" is discovering what it looks like for me to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I like Thomas' words: adoration, belief, divine guidance, and service. I want to explore each of these ideas to identify ways for me to acknowledge God throughout my day. For example, in what real, practical ways can I or do I show God that I adore Him?

How about you? Please let me know what ways you adore God in your days. Join me in this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment