Monday, June 28, 2010

Why?

Have you ever asked the question "Why?" If you are like me you ask it way too much! Sometimes the answer is available and sometimes it's not. The thing I am asking "Why?" about right now is "Why is life so full?"

Do you ever wonder how to have more time to do the things you want and need to do? Do you ask yourself "why did I say yes to this activity?" or "why don't I have more help around the house?"

For me right now I am seeing the answers to these questions through a different lens; discernment. I am seeing the places I have lacked discernment in saying yes to activities that take me away from things I want and need to do. The pamphlet Tyranny of the Urgent by Charles E. Hummel gives outstanding wisdom regarding discernment. The author uses a phrase that was spoken to me long before I read it and I will share it with you here:

"The need does not constitute the call"

What have you gotten yourself into because you felt you could respond to the need?

Discernment cautions us to wait, pray, and seek the peace that passes all understanding BEFORE we decide to be involved with an activity.

Does anyone else jump in without discernment?

No comments:

Post a Comment