Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Hurried, Unexamined Life

I haven't posted in a little over a week. Life is full more than usual right now; international company, new job outside the home, college son home for a few weeks, etc. No excuses, just my reality.

Through all of this busy-ness I have been pondering what life is going on under the fast current of my outward life. Have you ever thought about the difference between your below the surface existence and your outer evident existence? Can the two become one?

If we are too busy for Jesus we run the risk of developing a hurried, unexamined life. A life that lives from task to task, moment to moment and without depth. "An inch deep and a mile wide" is a phrase I heard again recently. With this kind of life, what do we have to offer those around us? No time, no peace, no grace.

It is apparent to me that it's crucial to make time for the development of the inner life; a life below the press of the everyday. How do we go about developing this inner life? What habits can we add? What habits do we need to change?

Short post, but a glimpse into my inner world....

How about yours? I'd really love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment